The Divorce Process
Years In Law
“There’s magic in a round table.”
Good marriages require collaboration and mutual respect; peaceful divorces do, too. Not all marriages end up meeting both partner’s long-term needs. But, if both persons can commit to being their best selves, perhaps their divorce can, with the appropriate process and right professional help.
Here are the basic steps I suggest if you want investigate how to peacefully restructure your family using Mediation or the Collaborative Divorce Process:
- Set a no-obligation overview consultation with Jim. We will go over the major topics that most families must address in a divorce, as well as the five basic ways that are available to resolve those issues. “Fit” is crucially important with the professional you are choosing to assist with this important family work. Our meeting is a great way for a conversation to see if Jim seems like someone you’re comfortable with for this journey.
- It’s ideal if both partners can receive this overview together, to hear the same thing at the same time. But, that doesn’t work for all families and it’s entirely up to you whether to begin exploring the process separately or together.
- Our work together begins with describing your family-focused goals and committing to work towards meeting the needs of all family members.
- Next, we gather and exchange relevant financial information. This involves creating an inventory of assets and debts, and outlining cash-flow budgets for both partners after their separation.
- With this information, we next identify family interests and priorities.
- We brainstorm options, and evaluate the consequences of each possible choice in an effort to find the best win-win approaches available.
- We work towards agreements on children, assets, and financial support so that all family members are financially stable and well-cared for moving forward.
- As a lawyer-mediator, Jim can prepare your legal dissolution paperwork to formalizes the family’s mutual agreements.
- We typically have a closing meeting to review our work and sign the legal papers.
- Jim e-files your legal documents which are normally approved by the court in about 4 weeks (with no court appearances).
- Begin your the next chapter of your life, with a peacefully restructured family.
Most couples complete their work with me in 2-4 months.