The Divorce Process
Years In Law
“There’s magic in a round table.”
Effective marriages require collaboration and mutual respect, and peaceful divorces do, too. Sadly, not all marriages meet everyone’s needs long-term. But, if both partners can commit to being his or her best self, every divorce can.
Here are the steps to peacefully restructure your family using Mediation or the Collaborative Divorce Process:
- Free consultation to meet with Jim (separately or together, your preference) to discuss peaceful options and see if we are a good fit to work together.
- Meet to discuss family-focused goals and commit to work towards meeting the needs of all family members.
- Gather and exchange information.
- Identify family interests and priorities.
- Brainstorm options, and evaluate consequences of each possible choice.
- Make agreements on children, assets, and financial support so that family members are stable and being cared for.
- Prepare the legal paperwork that formalizes the family’s mutual agreements.
- Closing meeting to review the completed process and sign legal papers.
- File legal documents. The divorce is typically finalized within 3 weeks (with no court appearances).
- Begin your the next chapter of your life, with a peacefully restructured family.
Most couples complete their work with me in 3-6 months.